The Commission revised the rules for U-NII devices operating under Part 15 Subpart E 'New Rules'  with an effective date of June 2, 2014.
A transition period has been provided to allow for devices to continue to be approved under the 'Old Rules'  (old rules provided in attachment below 789033 D03 Part 15 E Old Rules) as follows:
- New device will be permitted to be approved until June 1, 2015 under the 'Old Rules'.
- Starting June 2, 2016, permissive changes will not be permitted for devices approved under the 'Old Rules', unless they meet the requirements of the 'New Rules'.
- All devices approved partially or completely under the 'Old Rules' cannot be marketed starting June 2, 2016 unless they meet the requirements of the 'New Rules' in all the bands of operation.
- New and permissive change applications for devices based on the 'Old Rules' must use the guidance provided in attachment 789033 D01 General UNII Test Procedures Old Rules below; .
- Applications for new devices and permissive change applications for devices for approval under the 'New Rules' must apply all the appropriate test procedures for such devices as described in in attachment 789033 D02 General UNII Test Procedures New Rules below, including software security requirements in KDB Publication 594280 attachment 594280 D02 U-NII Device Security and the appropriate procedures from KDB Publication 905462.
- For further information on transition rules and requirements for permissive changes of already approved devices refer to KDB Publication 926956.
 'New Rules': effective date of June 2, 2014 (FCC 14-30)
 'Old Rules': prior to June 2, 2014 (47 CFR Ch. 1 10-1-2013 Edition)